Handmade octopus costumes are completely gender-neutral and adorable and need the supplies you can find at home. With these DIY octopus costume ideas, you can assemble the easiest ocean getup with the same tentacles and bulging eyes – the first walking squids! Using different types of materials and a great range of variations (all so comfy to wear!) in the top and skirt, headgear, ages, and color combinations, you will look almost like a squid, whether a girl or a boy.
How To DIY A Simple Octopus Costume?
As each DIY octopus costume idea in the list will need a different method, materials, and color, here are some tips that may help make an octopus costume quickly:
- You will start by cutting many pairs of tights (as needed!) or simply taking the old socks in any color to make the tentacles.
- Stuff each of them and slide a metallic wire inside everyone to make them easily change their shape.
- Add white circle spots to the white felt of your tentacles or white cotton balls.
- Once this is done, sew the opening of each one shut.
- Next, sew each tentacle around the waist of a sweatshirt (or whatever you choose!) of the same color.
- For the head, you can either use a hoodie attached to the sweatshirt or a separate ski cap.
- Finally, take ping pong balls, cut them in half, then attach them to the cap for the eyes. Add a black dot in the center for the pupil.
Octopus Costume For All Ages Using Socks
Beloved by children of all ages, this Octopus Costume offers an opportunity to transform your little princess into a darling octopus. While perfect for Halloween or any themed event, it also sparks creativity by offering customization for sock and button colors.
- Materials and Making: Create an octopus costume using eight tube socks, buttons, thread, fiberfill, and preferred clothing items. Serging or sewing, form socks into octopus tentacles filled with fiberfill and sew buttons onto one side to represent suckers. Attach these to the elastic–casing upper edge of your chosen skirt or pants, ensuring suckers face the fabric. Secure tentacles by hand or machine stitching.
DIY Easy Octopus Costume
If you’re seeking a fun and creative DIY costume, look no further than this charming Sweatshirt Octopus Costume. It’s a costume that is not only visually impressive but also warm and comfortable, ideal for a night of trick or treating. Plus, This costume can be adapted for both children and adults, perfect for any sea-themed festivity.
- Materials and Making: To craft an octopus costume, use two sweatshirts of the same color. Cut off the sleeves and hood of the larger sweatshirt and divide the torso into four parts; these will become the tentacles. Fill them with polyfill. The removed hood becomes part of the head. Secure the cut hood over the intact one on the smaller sweatshirt and fill it with polyfill, too. Finally, attach the eyes and the tentacles to the sweatshirt.
Finding Dory Hank The Octopus Costume
Inspired by the beloved character of Hank from Finding Dory, this Hank the Octopus Costume injects a bit of cinema magic into DIY costume crafting. This easy, fun, and adaptable costume works great for “Finding Dory” fans, ocean-themed parties, or just as a delightful twist at any dress-up event.
- Materials and Making: Create a Hank the Octopus costume with a red hoodie, felt, and stuffing material. Cut the front and back of the hoodie into three even strips each, making six “arms.” Fold each strip in half and sew them to create tubes stuffed with pillow stuffing. Attach white duct tape circles as suction cups. Lastly, cut out and assemble Hank’s eyes using black, light blue, and white felt pieces and attach them to the hood.
Baby Octopus Costume
This delightful and playful creature from under the sea will add a literary and whimsical touch to your baby’s first Halloween experience. This costume does not neglect your child’s need for warmth. It uses a full-sleeved shirt, leggings, and a beanie to protect against the chill completely.
- Materials and Making: Start by stuffing three pairs of tights to form the legs and secure them with a glue gun. You then affix the top elastic band of the unstuffed tights around the stuffed ones, permitting the legs to slide on and off for convenience. Lastly, orange felt circles are added to the tentacles and felt eyes to the hat.
How To Make An Octopus Costume
If you desire an unforgettable and detailed costume based on a favorite book, this DIY Fearless Octopus Baby Costume is an excellent option! This outfit isn’t just fun to make, but it also brings joy to the wearer and viewers.
- Materials and Making: To craft an octopus costume, start with two meters of plasticized silver jersey. Cut out eight fat legs, stitch them, and stuff them with fluffy material. Use an existing T-shirt as a guide to cut out a yoke and match the facing, adding elastic sides. After attaching the legs, finish the edges. Use cut-off sleeves from a silver top to make a woolly hat, add homemade applique eyes, and your costume is ready!
Lucy Octopus Costume
This handcrafted Lucy Octopus costume for babies is not only adorable but practical for colder weather. This costume has sewn pants and a belt with six legs in different shapes. Made from fleece, cotton, thread, stuffing, googly eyes, heat and bind, and pom-pom fringe, this delightful ensemble includes a wind-shielding cape with a googly-eyed hood for added charm.
- Materials and Making: To assemble the costume for Halloween, begin by preparing a homemade pattern for pants with material like fleece and cotton. Draft and design a belt featuring six appendages of various orientations some straight, others curved. Attach this to the pants, and include a warm cape for added comfort and protection. Embellish a hood with large googly eyes to complete the adorable octopus look.
How To Make An Octopus Costume For Halloween
Create an unforgettable Halloween experience with this DIY Octopus costume. Repurpose an old T-shirt into a unique piece. The Katia blog provides simple instructions to make this costume, calling for jersey knit fabric for the tentacles and minimal sewing necessities. So, Embrace your crafty side and turn heads this Halloween with your handmade Octopus ensemble!
- Materials and Making: You’ll require a plasticized silver jersey, fluffy material, and an old shirt. Sew together eight tentacles and connect them to the yoke, created using the shirt as a reference. To construct an octopus headpiece, fabricate a wooly hat from the shirt’s sleeves and apply homemade applique eyes. Trim the edges for a smooth appearance, and you have a completed octopus costume.
DIY Octopus Costume
Looking for a distinguished, fun costume that you can wear on the next costume rallie? The DIY Fearless Octopus Costume is what you need! Easy to make, perfect for events; it can be fashioned with varied accessories over tutus, leggings, or shorts, thus allowing you not to show your fit body figure.
- Materials and Making: Making an octopus costume is simple. Begin by cutting two contrasting fabrics to create eight legs. For extra visual appeal, attach an elastic down the middle to cause the legs to curl. Stuff the legs for volume and attach them to a waistband. For the headpiece, make eyes using large white and small black pom poms, then affix to a feather hair clip. Pair with any top and bottom of your choice to complete the look.
Octopus Costume DIY For Halloween
This easy-to-make costume is perfect for the joy of tween trick or treatings. The octopus costume was fashioned to resemble a dress without losing the Halloween vibe. A step-by-step video instruction is included, with options to paint glow-in-the-dark circles on Oly-Fun fabric for night-time appeal.
- Materials and Making: This DIY costume is easiseat among all ideas and does not require any sewing experience. Simply create a delightful octopus costume using Oly-Fun fabric and Poly-Fil fiber fill. Fashion the costume’s tentacles from the blueberry–colored fabric, adding elastic bands to a pair for dynamic motion. The costume’s eye-catching suction cups exhibit a pop of orchid color and can be coated with glow-in-the-dark paint for a fun nighttime effect.
Easy Cardboard Octopus Costume For Kids
Constructing an octopus costume from cardboard is both simple and fun. This DIY costume is an interactive creative process; everyone, including the children, can participate in its creation. Allowing for a perfect blend of fun and creativity, this easy craft makes for a memorable and unique costume.
- Materials and Making: Cut the shape of an octopus from a large piece of cardboard while painting it, preferably with two coats of your child’s favorite color, red, in this scenario. With pencils, sketch out the features such as eyes and mouth, and add white spots over the body. The end result is an engaging, uniquely designed handmade octopus costume.
Easy DIY Octopus Costume
This DIY Octopus Costume for Kids is a fun, unique, and budget-friendly alternative to store-bought costumes. The no-sew, quick costume idea brings a hint of whimsy and will surely be the talk of any event! What makes this costume so special is the reusability of the components. The tights, shirt, and hat can all be worn again by your child after Halloween.
- Materials and Making: Create an inventive octopus costume with four pairs of tights, a matching long-sleeve shirt, a hat, a belt, white and black felt, and cotton batting. Fill three pairs of tights with cotton batting and secure them to the belt. Cut out two large ovals and circles for the eyes and attach them to the hat. Dress your child in the remaining tights and shirt, add the belt with the stuffed tights, and finally, put on the hat for an easy, homemade octopus outfit.
Last Minute DIY Octopus Costume
This Last Minute DIY Octopus Costume is perfect for parents who need a creative yet simple solution for a Halloween costume. Made using easily accessible and inexpensive dollar store finds, this DIY standout costs just $5 and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- Materials and Making: Fashion a last-minute octopus costume by stuffing the socks with washcloths for tentacles, then attach these to the shirt hem with reinforced stitches. Cut out felt to make the octopus’ eyes, applying them halfway down the shirt.
Cardboard Octopus Costume
Whether for a school play, Halloween or to feed a youthful imagination, this Cardboard Octopus Costume wins high marks for creativity and originality. So, why not surprise your little one this Halloween by making this DIY costume?
- Materials and Making: To make this costume, you need things like cardboard, watercolors, paper cords, cartons, Kraft paper, white glue, wire, and LEDs. Start by shaping the cardboard into tentacles and a headpiece. Use the paper mache method to add cool details. Use watercolors to color the costume. Connect the tentacles to the cardboard waist piece with paper cords, and color it with watercolors. Finish off the costume by adding details, like eyes.
More Collections For Costume Ideas
- 10 DIY Zebra Costume Ideas: Transforming into a zebra-like human is no longer just a wild idea. With these DIY zebra costume ideas for striped beauty, you can make comfortable animal outfits that capture the distinctive black-and-white stripes of zebras. You’ll have the whole family looking like two-legged zebras with some art, careful cutting, and assembling.