Want to unleash your inner Norse warrior? Turn heads at your next costume party by crafting your DIY Viking costume! With just a few simple materials, you can return to the age of exploration and fierceness.
Best DIY Viking Costume
Whether you choose to be a fearsome Viking warrior, a courageous Viking queen, or a wise Norse God, there are countless creative ideas to make a simple yet impactful Viking outfit. And the best part? You’ll have a great time creating your unique costume from scratch. So gear up because it’s time to embrace the adventurous spirit of the Vikings!
Some Basic Attributes Of Viking Costume Are:
- Helmet: Despite historical inaccuracies, the iconic element of a Viking outfit is the horned or winged helmet. In reality, Viking helmets were typically round-shaped and made of iron or leather, providing invaluable protection during conflicts.
- Tunic: A large part of the Viking wardrobe was the simple, loose-fitting tunic, often made from wool or linen. They were generally long, with full-length sleeves coming down to the knee.
- Trousers: Trousers were worn for both men and women. They were usually tailored to be comfortably loose and ended just below the knee or at the ankle.
- Cloak: Vikings wore heavy, woolen cloaks fastened at the shoulder with a brooch or a pin. This aspect of their costume was essential for staying warm in the harsh Nordic climate.
- Leather Armor: Leather vests or body armor were commonly worn by Vikings, providing protection during battles.
- Fur: As they lived in a cold climate, fur was a major part of their clothing may it be as lining in boots, coats, or as accessories like stoles.
- Boots: The Viking footwear typically consisted of sturdy leather boots, often lined with fur for warmth.
- Shield and Weapons: Vikings are well known for their shields and weaponry. A wooden or iron shield alongside a makeshift sword, spear, or axe would perfectly complete your DIY Viking costume.
- Braided Hair: Vikings often wore long hair, and men and women sported intricate braids. Incorporating this into your costume can add an authentic touch.
- Jewelry: Viking jewelry was primarily work of silver or bronze and often decorate with intricate designs.
What could be better than a Viking Costume that gives your child a festive look and keeps them warm, cozy, and toasty on a chilly trick-or-treating adventure? It is the perfect blend of creativity, festivity, and visual charm!
Materials and Making: This Viking costume uses basic clothing items like a white shirt, brown pants, a leather belt, and brown boots. Add a homemade red tunic made from felt. Matching arm cuffs and shoe covers fashioned from metallic silver fabric give a warrior look. A Viking helmet made from stiffened felt and metallic fabric includes horns. A sword and shield round out the outfit.
DIY Viking Helmet Tutorial
This engaging DIY craft idea transforms everyday materials into an impressive Viking helmet, perfect for Halloween, cosplay, or a history-themed event. Whether you’re a sewing novice or a crafting veteran, this project can help you conquer the costume world with style and aplomb!
Materials and Making: To create a DIY Viking Helmet, make patterns for the helmet body, horns, and band, and cut them from different fabrics. Sew the outer pieces of the helmet together, leaving a gap at the bottom. Create the horns, stuff them, and attach them to the helmet following the pattern. Sew together the band pieces and attach them to the helmet, aligning all raw edges. Lastly, attach the trim along the band’s edges, offering a neat finish.
Easy And Affordable Viking Costume Under $25
The DIY Halloween is an easy and affordable Viking Costume. Under $25 is a simple, fun way to embody a Viking for the Halloween festivities. It masterfully combines store-bought accessories and readily available household items to create an authentic-looking Viking ensemble for your little explorer.
Materials and Making: This affordable,DIY Viking costume requires brown toilet seat covers, a white long-sleeve T-shirt, brown/black leather string, sweatpants, boots, and a Viking helmet. Transform the toilet covers into a vest and boot covers by cutting and securing them with leather strings. Pair this with the white shirt, and sweatpants, and accessorize with the helmet to finish.
DIY Cardboard Box Viking Costume
Have a look at this DIY costume! Ideal for dress-up, parties, or simply sparking a child’s imagination, this Viking costume’s journey from plain cardboard to fierce Norse seafarer is truly rewarding. It’s a simple, budget-friendly activity that’s big on fun.
Materials and Making: Craft this unique Viking costume and use a large cardboard box as the base for a Viking ship. Cut an oval hole for your child to fit into and draw a dragon design, then glue it. Paint the box to look like a ship in the sea. Add shoulder straps and a DIY helmet out of cardboard, completing the Viking look.
The Unappreciated DIY Viking Costume
The unappreciated DIY Viking Costume is a low-cost, innovative, and enjoyable way to bring historic style to your child’s parties. It’s full of personal touches such as a handmade shirt, reused belts to make a Viking-like belt, and clever use of fuzzy fabric for wristbands, Viking ‘boots’, and a cape. This look transforms common items into an unforgettable and attractive outfit.
Materials and Making: This unique DIY Viking costume was crafted using an old polo for a top, simple jogging pants, a pair of old belts as a makeshift Viking belt, and a toy helmet. The costume was enhanced by a furry cloth from a local market, used to create a Viking cape, wristbands, and boots. The standout prop, a toy wrecking ball, completed the getup.
DIY Viking Family Costumes
This DIY Viking Family Costume offers an entertaining and historical depiction of Norse culture ideal for every family member. The attire will enhance by Viking ships, and weapons will design with a careful review of historical accuracy, favoring early Viking styles over chain mail armor.
- Viking Shirt: The Viking costumes required minimal sewing, and hot glue played a major role in its creation.
- Viking Ship: The child’s wagon will transform into a Viking ship, and old Norse drawings inspire the dragon head and tail designs.
- Shields: The daughter’s shield will craft from light cardboard and foam, while a solid oak wood (from an old lazy Susan) was used for the mother’s shield.
- Weapons: The weapons, including the father’s axe, were handmade. Norse designs and Skyrim inspired the detailing on these weapons. A Dremel tool will use for carving the blade and engraving.
- Hairstyles: Their hairstyles will inspire by the “Vikings” show characters on the History Channel. Berserker Vikings inspire the father’s look, while the mother’s ensemble and hairstyle emulate Lagertha from the show.
DIY Viking Costume
This DIY Viking Costume is all about embracing your child’s inner warrior. This self-made costume enables you to step into the shoes of a Viking, ideal for historical events or themed parties. Unique Viking accessories, including a wide leather belt and Thor’s hammer necklace, make you stand out.
Materials and Making: The DIY Viking costume involves a loose tunic and trousers in earthy tones as the base. Unique accessories like a wide leather belt and a Thor’s hammer pendant enhance the look. Self-made cardboard armor will attach to the tunic with leather straps. The iconic horned helmet and shield complete the outfit.
Ancestral Viking Costume
Inspired by Lagertha from the TV show Vikings, this DIY costume features a meticulously hand-sewn vest, faux leather accessories, and a chain mail piece. The costume idea is just perfect for all ages and genders for any special occasion, including Halloween and other festivals!
Materials and Making: In this DIY Viking costume, a bought vest will alter and work with 299 washers and 325 clothing studs. Faux leather will use for cuffs, belts, and boot covers. A chain mail piece will complete the vest. The shield work from an old tabletop was carved and hand–painted. A cheap plastic sword was enhanced with paint and a suede handle wrap.
DIY Kid’s Viking Costume
The DIY Kid’s Viking Costume is a delightful, fun, homemade costume idea. The ensemble’s centerpiece is the long beard, and helps you make it easily with the step-by-step tutorial. Kids will enjoy wearing it thanks to the added detail of glittering horns. It’s an adventurous attire perfect for active youngsters.
Materials and Making: This DIY kid’s Viking costume features a soft and wearable helmet made from felt, complete with glitter horns. The project involves using a blanket stitch for the main pieces, filling with filler, and a low-temperature glue gun to add stripe details. This simple process makes for a quick and fun Viking costume craft.
You can also see:
- DIY Fairy Costume Ideas: Make your home more magical with these wonderful do-it-yourself fairy outfit ideas. There are so many different styles to pick from, and you’ll certainly find endless ways to make your little one or even yourself stand out at the next gathering.
- DIY Captain America Costume Ideas: Imagine standing proud, holding a shield, and acting like your favorite strong and brave superhero, Captain America. You can create one of these special do-it-yourself Captain America outfit ideas.
- DIY Maleficent Costume Ideas: Our amazing DIY Maleficent outfit ideas are an exciting activity that sparks creativity and personal expression.