Recreate one of these fish costume ideas for kids and adults to complement an underwater theme in so many fish types, along with creative touches and uses of materials. So you can have fun with the whole family, all wearing the fin-tastic attires that will adapt to fit humans!
DIY Fish Costume Ideas For all skill levels
The DIY fish costumes are gender-neutral, visually appealing with various color choices, and sometimes spooky and super fun wearable gifts for all ages! You will find many options in this list of fish outfits, from the angler fish, baby fish, rainbow fish, puffer fish, and many cartoonistic and imaginative fish costumes. They are all super attractive and educational, bringing you near nature!
Fish are such nice and cute creatures, so we draw their depictions. Now, have some walking fish around with these fish costume ideas for all family members!
DIY Nemo Costume
Create a homemade Halloween costume and become Nemo, the brave little clownfish. Despite his small fin, Nemo is loved by all kids because of his big-screen appearance in Finding Dory. Designed for a 7-year-old, this costume can be easily modified for younger children by adding the arm holes in one of the later steps. The costume design is simple as it uses cutting the fabric using template, adding details like stripes and plastic eyes and finns, stuffing, and joining the whole parts in one piece!
- Black Skin Suit
- Orange Felt at least 22” x 68”
- Black Felt (at least 1 yard)
- White felt (at least 1 yard)
- Fabric Scissors
- Adhesive Velcro
- Straight Pins
- Hot Glue Gun + Glue Sticks
- Stuffing Material
- 2 pieces White poster board 20” x 30”
- 2 Small plastic bowls with a lip
- White Spray Paint (If using clear bowls)
- Black Marker
- Clear tape
Rainbow Fish Costume
Transform into the enchanting Rainbow Fish without any sewing or fuss this Halloween. This costume is crafted using fabric tape and a variety of stain colours, including a shimmering silver to mimic Rainbow Fish’s glistening scales. Cut out holes for your head and arms in a large satin piece, then add scale-like fabric pieces in various hues. For fins, use smaller netted ribbons wrapped around your arms. Complete the outfit with a long-sleeved shirt, nylons, and glittery shoes.
DIY Family Fish Halloween Costume
Create a family theme for Halloween with fun, easy DIY costumes. The DIY guide used simple materials like felt, fabric glue, and grosgrain ribbon to turn an old onesie into a charming goldfish perfect for your son! The costume features hand-cut scales and a tail, adding a creative touch. For the mom dress, incorporate a small fish on the bump of a blue maternity dress. While for the dad, all you need to do is make a fish-themed hat with eyes and a fin.
DIY Carnival Costume Rainbow Fish
Carnival is fast approaching, and if you need a last-minute cute costume, try this incredibly simple rainbow fish costume! The costume is adorable and vibrant and designed to keep the child’s comfort in mind. The costume uses leftover fabric to make 50 scale-shaped pieces in vibrant colours, which are glued on the front of the shirt, leaving simple sleeves. While a matching-coloured tutu finishes the entire outfit flawlessly.
- Fabric leftovers in different colours (we used our muslin fabric)
- Fabric scissors
- Textile glue
- piece of cardboard
DIY Baby Fish Costume
Make Halloween magical for your toddler with a DIY mermaid fish costume. This charming and easy-to-handle outfit is not only visually appealing but also cosy and warm. It gives your child a comfortable nap, doubling as an adorable daily-use sleeping bag. The costume uses a simple Sleeping Gown adorned with the scale either with glueing or sewing and, at last, makes a fishtail with a tutu. The highlighted feature is its fish eye headband made of a small styrofoam ball.
- White Infant Sleeping Gown
- Rit Liquid Purple Dye
- Purple, Green, Aqua Felt
- Iridescent Material
- Permanent Fabric Glue
- 1 Small Styrofoam Ball
- Black Sticky Felt
- Purple Stretchy Headband
- Hot Glue Gun
Handmade DIY Fish Costume
Turn a simple Halloween costume into a fun DIY project with just hot glue, felt, foam, and custom fabric! Kids of all ages like the costume, and it is perfect for Halloween, theme parties, school events, or kids’ playdates. The costume is made for a five-year-old child, but you can change it according to your preference. It uses costume-making material satin for the entire piece and complete guidance, making, and suggestions are given in the link below:
Spike The Pufferfish Costume
Create a unique Halloween costume for your pufferfish-loving child! The costume shows a puffed-out puffer fish, all with its cute smile, faux spines, and adorable eyes. Using an exercise ball, craft a puffy base with papier-mache. Attach foam spikes and paint it off-white for a realistic fish look. Use similar techniques to craft the fins, mouth, and eyes, bringing ‘Spike’ to life. This homemade costume will make for a memorable and exciting trick-or-treating event.
Handmade Halloween Infant Fish Costume
Struggling to find the perfect fish costume for your tiny tot this Halloween? Then try this adorable, cost-effective fish costume that you can create with felt shapes using a sweatshirt and sweatpants as the base. Glue each shape to the fabric, creating eyes on the hood and staggered, colorful scales on the body. The result is a personalized, handmade infant fish costume that’s as unique as your little one, perfect for making Halloween memorable.
- Sweatshirt and sweatpants
- 2-3 blue/green felt sheets for scales
- 2-3 blue felt sheets for tail and fins
- 1 black felt sheet for eyes
- 1 white felt sheet for eyes
- Hot glue
- Scrap cardboard from a cereal box
DIY Nemo Fish Costume For Your Toddler
Sweatshirt costumes are great for toddlers because they’re comfortable and easy to wear. Using this most accessible guide, you can make one with an old sweatshirt, felt, and hot glue. You can choose any colors you like as it uses orange and yellow. To make the fish tail and scales cut shapes from felt. You can use a tin can to help trace the scales. Add some felt circles for eyes and make a crown from cut strips from a reusable shopping bag. Now, your little one is ready for their undersea adventure!
- A sweatshirt and matching sweatpants
- About 30 felt squares (15 of each color) for your scales and tail
- 1 white felt square
- 1 black felt square
- Stiff, starched fabric for the crown
- Clean 28 oz tin can
- Glue Gun
- 2 hours in front of the TV
- Glass of wine
Angler Fish Costume
Embrace a tradition of creating bulky, unique Halloween costumes! The costume is eye-catching and nearly waterproof, keeping you dry during your trick-or-treating expedition. A battery-powered lantern adds a special touch, while the sharp and long teeth make it extra spooky. You will use an insulating blanket, silver duct tape, craft foam, and Styrofoam for this DIY costume. Though made chiefly from household items, starting from scratch could cost about $40.
More Crochet Collections
- 10 DIY Tree Costume Ideas: Wearing a homemade tree costume, especially on Earth Day, can be enjoyable and educational. It helps us understand how important trees are. Here, we’ve gathered some cool tree costume ideas for kids and adults. You’ll find trees in different looks, like when they’re green or during fall. Each idea uses different materials, styles, and creative features. Plus, there are helpful tutorials available!
- 12 DIY Ursula Costume Ideas: If you let your creativity flow, you can create a fantastic Ursula costume without spending much money. We have some DIY Ursula costume ideas to help you look like the classic villain. It’s perfect for costume parties or Halloween events and won’t empty your wallet.
- 10 DIY Poison Ivy Costume Ideas: Planning to dress up as the captivating villain Poison Ivy this Halloween? We’ve got you covered with these DIY Poison Ivy Costume Ideas. They offer several exciting and nature-inspired costume ideas to help you become the iconic DC villainess. Poison Ivy is known for her fierce beauty and connection to nature. These ideas will guide you in creating a unique costume that brings out her character.
- 12 DIY Pumpkin Costume Ideas: Let’s get creative and make a costume that captures the festive spirit of Halloween! These DIY pumpkin costume ideas can inspire you and help you stand out as the center of attention. Let your imagination run wild and make a pumpkin-themed costume that embodies the Halloween vibe.