Whether you believe in elves or not, dressing up in a DIY elf costume can be a fun activity to catch the festive spirit, as are much related! You can recreate one of our DIY elf costume ideas in traditional green red or any else, and styles adopted from various folklore tales suitable for teens, women, and men. So, have a tiny humanoid form with imaginative powers and our curated guides!
DIY Elf Costume Ideas For All Skill Levels
Elves have been the focal point of artists’ and folklorist’s imagination for centuries, sharing different looks of elves with us. Now, it’s a great time to choose from various forms as homemade elf costume ideas. You could go for a delicate fairy elf look or try something like an “elf on the shelf” costume, even for wild elf costumes and more, to add the unique charm of festival celebrations.
Creating these elf costumes provides a magical theme for any costume party, and at the end of it, you’ll have a cute appearance (even with strange pointy ears!). Some could even be made and quickly put together as a last-minute outfit. No matter the style, DIY elf costumes can make any occasion extra special.
What You Need To Make To Have an Elf Look
Although a range of elf costume appearances exists, it traditionally includes making the key pieces to create the iconic look. Here are the main parts:
- Ears: Elf ears are a prominent feature. You can make these pointy additions from thick craft paper in the skin color.
- Tunic or Dress: It’s often green or red but could be any color, depending on your elf character’s style. The Tunic may sometimes have a wavy bottom and a wavy drape around the neck, sometimes straight and open under the belt, sometimes have fold cuffs and many other features. A fairy one may have a cute classic royal dress!
- Tights or Leggings: Typically, elves are depicted with red and yellow tights or leggings.
- Shoes: Elf shoes are typically pointy, and adding a little bell on the tip for some holiday sparkle is common. You can either modify existing shoes or make your shoe covers with fabric.
- Hat: The elf hat is usually pointed and often in color like red or green or with a combination of many. The wild one may have a woodland crown, while the other may have a hat with a hook end.
- Accessories: Accessories can include fabric or a Santa belt to cinch the tunic, a bow and arrow set, and a belt made by adding bails if your elf is more of the woodland variety. Again, these should be in keeping with your chosen elf style. A fairy one may have a magical stick a well.
Easy Elf Halloween Costume For Girls Or Women
Make your child’s fantasies a reality with this captivating and unforgettable elf costume. It is just perfect for any character-themed party or trick and tricking. Its centerpiece is a bohemian-style vintage dress in a lovely blush pink that heightens the elegance and charm. A magical woodsy crown made easily using Emmy’s pre-owned gold leaf headband enhances the ethereal aura. While a set of elf ears completes the look with their beauty!
DIY Elf Costume Elf On The Shelf Kids
Think about having a Halloween attire that also serves as your Christmas ensemble; that’s what this DIY Elf Costume is all about! It’s an easy, no-sew, glue gun costume that can be finished in 15 minutes, ideal for last-minute party prep. This could be a festive family favorite in both kids and adult sizes. Start making with red pajamas serving as the base, add a handmade collar and hat to the ensemble, and you are done!
- Red pajama set
- Kids red pajamas
- Adult size pajamas
- 1/2 yard white felt
- 3/4 yard red felt
- Soft 1/4″ elastic
DIY Elf Costume
Planning to add cheer to a Christmas gathering or become the star of a Halloween party? Then you should try this DIY costume that uses minimal sewing but looks incredibly cool. The presence of a metallic bell and puff balls adorning the edges makes this costume a complete masterpiece. The plan includes a three-color combination for the cap so that you can choose your favorite one!
- 1/3 yard white felt
- 1/3 yard green felt
- 1/3 yard red felt
- 3 squares of colored felt rectangles
- 2 packages of puff balls from Dollar Tree
- Hot glue gun
- Fabric scissors
Easy DIY Elf On The Shelf Costumes
Light up the festive season with these ‘Easy DIY Elf On The Shelf Costumes. These charming outfits ensure the much-beloved Elf on the Shelf tradition remains enjoyable. Created easily with a touch of creativity and foresight, these cute costumes boost festivity and provide a stress-free solution for future holiday seasons. The best part is they are also perfect for gift giving and adding on the Christmas.
- a Cricut Maker or Scissors
- the pattern at the end of this post
- brown felt
- green felt
- thin elastic
- hot glue
- sequins and buttons
Super Easy Diy Elf Fairy Costume
Crafted from nature’s bounty, the DIY Elf Fairy Costume is perfect for Halloween or Cosplay. Whether you call it a woodland elf, forest fairy, or elf fairy costume, it maintains its enchanting appeal. Made from twigs, leaves, and moss with transformative makeup, it’s an exciting departure for those who typically opt for villainous or spooky characters. So, why not try it today?
The comprehensive guide, along with the list of materials and makeup required, can be found in the link provided below:
DIY Elf Costume
Learn the joy of creating a delightful half costume with this simple DIY Elf Costume. Consisting of a green zig-zag hemline, a snug black belt, vibrant red pants, and a striped tip cap, this costume is sure to light up any festive occasion. Pair it with long black shoes for the complete elfin look. It’s fun for kids and adults alike; it’s an absolute treat for your festive spirit!
- Red pants, leggings, or tights
- A large green shirt
- A belt
- Red and white felt ($.39 a sheet at Michaels!)
- Small jingle bells
- Cheap elf shoes (sold on Amazon) or black boots
- Elf or Santa hat
- Hot glue gun
How To Make An Elf Costume
Transform your child’s festive celebrations with a homemade, eye-catching Elf Costume. You can create a perfect Christmas or Halloween costume with a few materials and a little creativity. Ideal for photo shoots or character parties, your unique creation will surely make you the talk of the town. Plus, The DIY plan is simple and quick; with the help of the guide, you can complete it in just a few minutes!
Things You’ll Need:
- Green or Red Tights
- Green Oversized Vest
- Red Oversized Turtle Neck
- Large Buttons
- Craft Pom Poms
- Large Craft Bells
- Needle Thread
- Fabric Glue
- Santa Cap
- Ankle Slippers
- Large/Wide Black Belt or Rope
This DIY Elf costume is the perfect winter apparel to delight your child with its favorite character’s charm. Not only visually appealing, the fur-lined jacket provides much-needed comfort, warmth, and coziness. All you need is a simple jacket; with our guide, you can create a vibrant, unforgettable costume.
Last Minute Christmas Elf Costume
Make a detailed and cute elf costume, this time utterly feminine, with a full-body maxi skirt and special touches that are very quick to add. Start with a Santa-style hat that’s cozy and covered in velvety red spots. Plus, it will have long hanging chains of red and white at two sides, decorated with tiny gift box bows and a bell on each. Pair it with a long skirt, and sew some bells around the bottom hem for a fun jingle every time she moves. With three different colors, this elf outfit will look amazing.
- green dress (charity shop)
- red Santa hat (on hand)
- white, black, and red yarn (on hand)
- red ribbon (on hand)
- 10 – 12 large silver jingle bells (local fabric store)
- white long sleeve shirt (on hand)
- red stockings or leggings (on hand)
- black belt buckle (local fabric store)
Elf On The Shelf DIY Costume
This outfit catches the cute look of the newcomer elf on the shelf character. Even though it’s simple, it’s incredibly adorable. You’ll need a Santa hat and a matching red skirt and top that should be loose-fitting. This is the perfect outfit if you’re running short on time and need a quick elf costume. But don’t forget to have some blushy makeup!
- Foundation and blush
- Blush, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick
- Bobby pins (and if desired, a hair band)
- Red pants, red shirt, red Santa hat
More Costume Collections With Fun Fictional Themes
- 10 DIY Fairy Costume Ideas: Experience the enchantment of fairies right in your home with these fantastic DIY Fairy Costume ideas. Many costume options allow you to personalize your princess or even yourself for the next party.
- 10 DIY Poison Ivy Costume Ideas: These DIY Poison Ivy Costume Ideas are perfect if you’re aiming for a seductive villain look this Halloween. They offer a range of captivating costume ideas inspired by the iconic DC villainess known for her fierce beauty and botanical abilities. You can bring this character to life using a creative and unique DIY approach.
- 10 Harry Potter DIY Costume: If you’re a Harry Potter fan and want to see your kids dressed as their favorite characters, this collection of Harry Potter DIY Costume ideas is a must-see. Learn how to use your creative skills to transform simple black capes into characters from Hogwarts School.
- 12 DIY Ursula Costume Ideas: Let your creativity flow, and soon you’ll have a unique Ursula costume. These DIY Ursula costume ideas help you recreate the look of this classic villain without spending a lot of money. They’re perfect for any costume party or Halloween event.